These guidelines, published by African Centre for Media Excellence, lay out the responsibilities of journalists and other important players such as political parties, candidates, and the Electoral Commission regarding media coverage of national elections in Uganda.
It is hoped that the guidelines will help journalists covering the elections do the following:
- Provide fair, accurate and comprehensive elections-related news and information to enable citizens make informed political decisions.
- Provide balanced and adequate opportunity for citizens, candidates and political parties to express divergent political views during campaigns.
- Act as a watchdog that monitors the fairness and credibility of the electoral process.
- Report accurately the election results.
- Report accurately and fairly the immediate aftermath of the elections.