The object of this Bill tabled at the East African Legislative Assembly is to provide a legal framework for matters relating to sexual and reproductive health, to protect children, adolescents and young persons from sexual abuse and other forms of exploitation, to provide for assisted reproductive technology and to provide for other matters related to those matters.
This Bill intends to:
- provide a framework for the protection and advancement of sexual and reproductive health rights to all;
- promote safe motherhood across the region for maternal, new born and adolescent morbidity and mortality rates;
- prevent bad practices such as child marriage, female genital mutilation, retrogressive practices during initiations and circumcision of boys;
- prevent unwanted pregnancies, risky abortion and sexually transmitted infections including HIV; and
- ensure quality sexually reproductive health care, education and services for all citizens of the East African Community.
Read or download the Bill below.